Fresh off The Grid Campfire Pizza
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided (2 tbsp + 3 tbsp)
- Any combo of toppings!
1. In a mixing bowl or pot, add the flour, yeast, and salt. Briefly mix with a fork to distribute the ingredients. Add the warm water and 2 tablespoons oil to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until the ingredients begin to form a dough. Knead the dough a few times (you can do this in the bowl or on a lightly floured surface) so that all the ingredients are well incorporated and the dough comes together.
2. Cover the dough and let it rise for 20 minutes. After the dough has risen, turn it out onto a cutting board and divide the dough into two equal pieces.
3. To form the crust, add 1 tablespoon oil into a preheated 10" (for a thicker crust) or 12" (for a thinner crust) cast iron skillet and swirl to coat the surface. Place one of the dough halves in the skillet, and using your fingers, press and push the dough towards the edges of the skillet.
4. Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon oil along the edge of the skillet. Place the skillet on a grate over your campfire, or on your camp stove at fairly high heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until the bottom has firmed up and begins to turn golden brown (you'll want to lift the side up around the 3-minute mark to see how it's doing and determine how much longer it should remain on the heat).
5. Pull the skillet off the fire and place on a heat-safe surface. The skillet will be HOT, so take care with the next few steps. Using a pair of tongs, lift the crust out of the skillet and flip it so the uncooked side is face down in the skillet.
6. Add your toppings, cover the pizza with a cast iron lid if you have one or a sheet of foil, and return the skillet to your campfire or stove. Cook the pizza for an additional 3-5 minutes until the bottom is golden brown. Remove the lid/foil after a few minutes, once the cheese has melted, to let the steam escape for the remainder of the cooking time.
7. Remove the skillet from the heat, carefully transfer the pizza to a plate, and repeat with the second half of the dough.